[MPlayer-users] MJPG file in incoming

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 12 01:54:31 CET 2001

Hi,

> > You know what happens to readable /incoming-folders? They develop into
> > warez-trading-places very fast.
>
> depends, aslong as you have someone monitoring it daily...or even use a
> qouta system, so it wont get out of *possible* control.

warez wasn't the only reason to do it.
the main problem was mphq's network traffic. it was 240 GB at october.
(you may say it's not so much as your warez ftp has 15 TB monthly, but mphq
is at 10MBit school network and eats up to 15% of bandwith now)
60% of it was downloads from incoming. and there were no warez, just buggy
files, but people searching the web for downloadable 'warez' films
downloaded them... (i see from the logs they mostly used MSIE and other
windows ftp clients).
sometimes people had to upload whole films to get the bug reproduced, and
after 1-2 hour there were 10-20 downloads of it.

sorry, i won't open it for public again.
core developers have access to it, and if someone really have to read
something from there, he can request http password from me.

but until you are libmpdemux developer/bugfixer, you shouldn't expect such rights.
usable or interest samples are moved to samples/ dir, sorted by type.
files at incoming are usually new and unchecked. nobody needs them except
the developer who will fix it.

btw i'm also thinking of closing samples/ too.

> > So it would be like shooting yourself into the foot, if the admins allow
> > everybody to read the incoming-folder.
>
> I would like to see read the incoming folder, see the bugs in action..
what can you see if you can downlaod files what you can't now???

i send periodically a mail to this list describing the results of checking
files uploaded. you can also follow the cvs-log maillist to see the fixes
immediately when they are commited. i include the buggy filename in the
cvslog comment when it's fixed.

> and help if possible..mplayer users intentions arent warez'y.
how can you help? do you wanna send patches for libmpdemux? why didn't
you send such patches before, while it was open?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu