[MPlayer-users] gcc 3

Lionel Bouton Lionel.Bouton at free.fr
Tue Nov 13 22:43:35 CET 2001

Roger D. Vargas wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
>I have downloaded gcc 3.0 and I have a doubt, if I compile it with gcc
>2.96 I'll get a good version or a buggy one?

ROTFL.

Please stop them, I'll die in laughs.

If it's really a serious question :

There's little chance you'll end with a buggy gcc this way, but...
If you want to be sure, go back to the last trusted gcc or egcs version
(RedHat 7.x kgcc will do) and then compile gcc 3.0 (the latest is 3.0.2
IIRC).

Seriously I don't see many cases where the time spent compiling a new
gcc will be saved by the performance gains of the software you'll
compile with your brand new gcc.
If you bet on a new gcc eliminating dropped frames or lowering cpu usage
of mplayer, I'm not as optimistic as you : lots of code is optimized
with asm/MMX/3dNow/SSE ...
I guess a better compiler won't give you much here.

<personnal_experience>
On my RedHat 7.2, there are 3! versions of gcc : 2.96-98, 3.0.1 and
egcs-2.91.66 (kgcc)
The only one I don't suspect of brain damage is kgcc.

When I used RedHat 7.1, gcc 2.96 was a real *nightmare*. I ended
compiling everything with kgcc.
I've more confidence in the 7.2's 2.96-98, but have to put pressure on
it to be sure. Compiling a recent mplayer cvs will probably enlighten me :-)
</personnal_experience>

If you want to be safe on a RedHat 7.x, just use kgcc.

Being on the edge is the best way to fall...