[MPlayer-users] 4-speaker support

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Sat Nov 17 19:48:40 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Friday, 16. November 2001 14:49, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> > is support for 4-speaker audio output planed?
> The prob is there is no real 4 speaker support on linux yet that I'd know
> of...

 SB Live has 4 speaker support with the OSS driver (included in the
kernel). The front two speakers are in /dev/dsp and the back two speakers
are in /dev/dsp1. Maybe you could add a command line switch like that:
-fsd <front sound device> -bsd <back sound device>
 Does anybody know of another linux sound driver supporting 4 speaker
output and how it is supported?

PS. you must use a special sound mixer for SB Live to adjust the sound
level in the back pair of speakers. In kernel <= 2.4.7 there is a prog
named dm for that job. For later kernels search for emu-tools.