[MPlayer-users] vo drivers

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Wed Nov 21 23:01:47 CET 2001

On Nov 21, at 10:36 PM, Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:18:32PM -0500, Robinson, Chad wrote:
> > > Arpi, do you believe if there's intelligent life on Earth? :) It's very
> > sad
> > > that users even don't read the HELP screen of mplayer. Well, and there's
> > > great dox in mplayer tarball, which is produced by us with spending many
> > > hours to make it nice formatted, informative, up to date and so on.
> >
> > Maybe we need an "idiot's guide to MPlayer"?
> >
> > Seriously, though, the one thing you'll never get around is a newbie who
> > just subscribed to the list writing in before checking the dox. Maybe you
> > should change the subscription links to force people to go through a simple
> > "I understand" form that makes them agree to:
> > 1. I will read the documentation before posting my questions.
> > 2. I will read the FAQ before posting my questions.
> > 3. I will read the error messages MPlayer gives me before posting my
> > questions.
> >
> > before subscribing. At least this way they'll be suitably scared to post.
> > :-D
>
> WOW! *NICE* idea! ;-) Thanx. Arpi?

You're STILL gonna get the newbie/clueless/lazy who'll post anyway.
I guarantee it.

My project, a window manager, has perhaps the most comprehensive man
page you'll ever find for a WM, the tarball has commented resource files,
and a "how to build and install" doc. It's all on the WMs web pages,
even. But, I still get the question that needn't be asked.

It's inevitable. The un-mentioned task of any open-source author is,
whether we like it or not, the hand-holding of afore-mentioned user.

I've found, though, that a short, courteous, helpful answer does get
you, the author, the best results, if nothing else a good reputation.
And sometimes, they'll lead you to bugs you didn't know existed.

Our pillows are for screaming into.

> - Gabor

I'll go away now.
Dave