[MPlayer-users] MPlayer for OS/2 or stolen code or WTF ?

pl p_l at tfz.net
Fri Nov 23 10:22:56 CET 2001

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:52:59AM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
[...]
> > > [warpvision player stolen mplayer code]
> > >
> > > I just signed up to their mailinglist, let's see.
> >
> > then get ready for ROTFL and nonsense replies.
> >
> ROTFL? But if we will publish info that wvision's developer's are thieves
> on each most popular in OS/2 worls server like:
> os2ss.com
> hobbes.nmsu.edu
> bmtmicro.com
> oss.software.ibm.com (not sure)
> en.os2.org
> Also on country specific servers (for Russia):
> os2.spb.ru
> os2.ru
> Also on OS idepended news servers (I'm not sure but maybe slashdot?)

A linux French site (well one of the most known) has taken the news to
it's frontpage. (http://linuxfr.org/2001/11/22/6047,0,1,0,0.html - strip
the /2001... to get to the frontpage)

A translation of the body might be:
"DivX player: GPL broken by some Russian developers

On MPlayer website, one can learn that some Russian hackers have
released an application running under OS/2 that allows to play divx. The
problem comes from the fact that the software is distributed without
source whereas it should be since it is based on MPlayer that is under
GPL license.

Moderator's note: go on MPlayer website, the problem is very well
described."

> Anyway we can't give from them compensation for monetary damage (mplayer currently is free software)
> But they violate GPL and our copyrights and world (at least OS/2) should know that.
> I guess it will be enough.
[...]

--
Best regards,