[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

Thomas Prokosch thomas at nadev.net
Fri Nov 30 15:16:45 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:34:33AM +0100, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
> And you can't seriously expect people to read the manuals ...
> Have your read carefully 'man ls' before you first used 'ls' ?
> I haven't.
>  hehe - and have your read 'man man' before using man for the first
> time?;)
>  Users need forum for users - somewhere where they can ask all those
> annoying useless questions, and where others which asked those questions

This is not true IMHO
When I have a problem with a particular problem, I
1. call man
2. check out the web page
3. ask in the mailing list

in this order.
And I am convinced that most people do it the same way (perhaps point
1 and 2 in reversed order).

What would be really good: documentation clearly structured, with a
table of contents, browsable, if possible.
For example, it is not easy for me to find the FAQ on the web page.
If I didn't knew that it exists, I would have never found it...

Just my 2 cents.
--
: Thomas Prokosch                               [ GPG KeyID: 0x7DBAB2A6 ]
: [ http://www.nadev.net/thomas/  |  thomas at nadev.net | thomas at hetzi.at ]

Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you
only have to climb it once.