[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

SMuelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Fri Nov 30 21:38:38 CET 2001

You are a nice man, Gabor. You must feel sometimes a little bit shocked
with your not-so-nice colleagues   :-)

To establish a good documentation is always something hard to do and,
what is worse, boring. Nevertheless, your great success with MPLAYER
obliges you in some way to improve what you have done (in documentation)
as so many people contact you. You must realize that something is wrong
when so many people ask the same "stupid" questions. I think that I
understand your points, because I hear everyday a similar melody. I am a
professor at the University and most of my colleagues complain all the
time about the students, but students are all right if you take a
minimal effort to make their live easier. Sometimes it is boring,
sometimes hard, but the result is always worthwhile.
And if you want some ideas, the first one that come to my mind is a
good, complete INDEX to let people find what they search with a minimal
effort and quickly. And include this index with the distribution to be
able to go to the needed links (the last PNG distribution, the right gcc
compiler, the simple and clear explanation about the way of improving
the quality obtained -use of dga with sdl...- and so on).
But this is just an idea and perhaps you have more important things to
improve .... :-)

Best regards to all the team