[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

David Harris david at lumni.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 30 14:37:57 CET 2001

Im new to the list,  new to mplayer  but not new to compiling, common user
issues with computers, software, etc.  I worked in tech support for a
local isp for a while and have done tech support for others for a while.

When I first downloaded mplayer  I wasn't too happy with it.  because
there we things that my machine was missing that CVS didnt say I needed to
have.  but thats another ball of wax.

The manual and docs I have read have been helpful to a few of my problems
that I had.  but it wasn't with the player.  It was with my machine.   and
I know you guys are going to go OMG when you see my machine specs.

Pentium 166 mhz
48 megs of ram
Diamond Stealth 64 Vram video card
Creative SoundBlaster AWE 32 sound card.

I found that -framedrop was helpful but not completely useful when I
have a 320x240 25fps 44Khz 16 bit stereo Divx movie.  so my solution
(Virtualdub).  I found if I cut my sound to 22Khz 8 bit mono and used
-framedrop  the movie still ran well.

I agree with Arpi that mplayer isn't userfriendly.  and if you don't know
your machines limits, specs,etc, Mplayer can be a headache.

Noone hates reading manuals more than I.  But if you read them, you'll get
a better understanding but it doesn't always answer the question or have
the correct solution.

Hey Arpi, I know it gets frustrating with all the stupid users questions
and some people need USER IQ installed into their machine. and some of the
problems they are having are ID-10T errors.  But kinda lighten up
ok?  These newbies are just as frustrated as you are.  and just saying
RTFM doesn't always help the situation.

If I would have came to you with my problem, you would have told me to get
a new machine and go away.

Just my 2 cents

David Harris