[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 30 18:06:34 CET 2001

Hi,

> Hey Arpi, I know it gets frustrating with all the stupid users questions
> and some people need USER IQ installed into their machine. and some of the
> problems they are having are ID-10T errors.  But kinda lighten up
> ok?  These newbies are just as frustrated as you are.  and just saying
> RTFM doesn't always help the situation.

You forget something. I usually not only say "RTFM", but also tell the
solution in short. You all forget about this fact...
I just mention RTFM to get users thinking about what is documentation for...

> If I would have came to you with my problem, you would have told me to get
> a new machine and go away.

If you send a proper mail, describing your hardware, problems etc, I can help.
But most user just send such mails:

"
Hi,

I have sound and pron video out of sync. it's very very annoying!
fix it ASAP!

bye,
--
<15 lines of signature>
"

and they really expect any usefull answer...

I won't stop saying RTFM where it has sense, but I always (except for mails
where user should really rtf, but usually i include which file to read)
answer the problem wiht a short sentence. check the archive, i've never
answered just a simple "RTFM".

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu