[MPlayer-users] Re: Subtitles problem

Carlos Laviola carlos at laviola.org
Fri Nov 30 03:58:25 CET 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Carlos Laviola <carlos at laviola.org> schrieb:
>
> > I've noticed a problem with MPlayer's subtitle handling. If you have a
> > subtitle file that needs to be advanced by a certain number of seconds
> > (mine needs to be advanced by 17 seconds) and just play the movie
> > without seeking it forward, it will be fine. But if you do seek it
> > forward, the subtitles all jump to another completely different spot
> > in the movie, which kinda sucks. The subtitle is in the SubRip (.srt)
> > format, AFAIK, and the movie is in the DivX format.
>
> Did you try to convert the .srt-File into mplayers own format? I found

I did now, and then manually adjusted it in order to advance the
desired number of seconds. Yet, the bug is still there: if you seek
forward by a minute, pressing the Up arrow, it jumps to a certain spot
in the middle of the movie. I've noticed it is always the same spot
(IIRC).

Also, MPlayer must be manually aborted after converting subtitles
(only tested with this SubRip one) to its own format, or else it just
'sits still'.

> out, mplayer handles those in its native format much better than
> "foreign" ones.
>
> (The native format is also much easier to tweak.)

I've noticed that, it is much easier to correct my problem (I just had
to increase the number of seconds to wait before displaying the first
subtitle).

--
 _ _  _| _  _  | _   . _ | _   Who controls the past, controls the future.
(_(_|| |(_)_)  |(_|\/|(_)|(_|  Who controls the present, controls the past.