[MPlayer-users] rant

André Dahlqvist andre.dahlqvist at telia.com
Mon Oct 8 20:44:40 CEST 2001

Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> you are allowed to create a license, if it's usefull we'll accept it.

I doubt you will, because mine would allow distribution of binaries:-)

> yes. Because we DO NOT WANT to see any binaries distributed. LGB described
> in details why (either it's broken/incompatible or compiled to 386 with very
> minimal feature list so mplayer looks like a shit proggy)

I understand and accept that concern, although I do not think it is
valid. Instead of forbidding distribution of binaries you could
recommend distributions to create packages optimized for different
processors. I know that Debian would allow a i686 package of mplayer for
an example, and I am pretty sure other distributions would too. That
still won't make use of all of mplayers potential, but it makes mplayer
available to a much bigger audience (those who can't compile binaries
themselves).

Lets take xine and vlc as examples of programs which are both in Debian.
I have not heard people complaining about how "shitty" these programs
are based on how slow they got when they went into Debian.
--

André Dahlqvist <andre.dahlqvist at telia.com>