[MPlayer-users] Re: License

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Oct 9 19:54:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Under this license it would not be legal for anybody to distribute or
> use mplayer, as it links with GPL libraries. Note sections 2b, 4, 5
> and 7 of the GPL. Mplayer must be licensed either entirely under the
> GPL, or not at all.
>
> Currently, with the opendivx stuff still in place, this applies. This
> makes mplayer personal use only - nobody can redistribute it.

Hmm. Okay. Then we will soon close all this stuff, and develop only for our
personal use. Is us the best solution for everyone?
Then you don't have to worry about source vs. binaries, compilation bugs
etc, and we have much more time for development and watching movies with it.

I made it a year ago, just to be able to watch MI2 VCD under linux.
The only player playing it was the commercial mtv, but it has bad a-v sync
and its fullscreen sucks. SO I started this project for my personal use.
Later my friends ask me to distribute becaus ethey saw it working here.
So we decided to make it opensource, and put out to the net. It was the
biggest fault I've ever did.

I see - you say power on my computer even breaks some licenses.
So it has no sense fighting against licenses. They always win.
And you are very happy with them. This will bring opensource community to
death. But it doesn't matter.
Just check how many opensource projects suffers with licensing problems, and
has to use much worse implementations as available just because of the
licenses. It's simply shit. And only make lawyers happy.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu