[MPlayer-users] Re: License

marpet at linuxpl.org marpet at linuxpl.org
Tue Oct 9 21:50:39 CEST 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:54:24 +0200 (CEST) Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> > Currently, with the opendivx stuff still in place, this applies. This
> > makes mplayer personal use only - nobody can redistribute it.
>
> Hmm. Okay. Then we will soon close all this stuff, and develop only for our
> personal use. Is us the best solution for everyone?

[...]

> So we decided to make it opensource, and put out to the net. It was the
> biggest fault I've ever did.
>
> I see - you say power on my computer even breaks some licenses.
> So it has no sense fighting against licenses. They always win.
> And you are very happy with them. This will bring opensource community to
> death. But it doesn't matter.

it didn't so far, it wouldn't in the future, no sweat :-)

> Just check how many opensource projects suffers with licensing problems, and
> has to use much worse implementations as available just because of the
> licenses. It's simply shit. And only make lawyers happy.

it is not a matter of our liking the licences or not. It is a matter of
you breaking the law or not doing it - when someone puts some code on
the Net with GPL on it and you want to include the code or parts of it
in your project you have to release it under GPL or write the
functionality by yourself from the scratch - that is the meaning of the
licence - love it or leave it. It doesn't matter if you like it, that is
the fact.

I don't want to rant here, I love mplayer and I think it is the best
video playing software for Linux and friends to date, but it doesn't
change the fact, that you waste your time on useless struggle with
everything arround. Instead of writing "RTFM" every time just ignore the
posts - your RTFM just increases the Internet load and irritates all the
list users who actually DO READ the FM and the lamers will not do it
even if you put a gun against their heads. Instead of fighting
with licences just write the code - proven you do it right and that is
your best weapon.

You want the code to be open to everyone - that is for sure. Stop
bothering people will distribute binaries (they will do it even when you
put them to jail for that). Just ignore all the bogus bugreports or
plainly shutdown the lists (or make them closed forum). But DONT TAKE
THE SOFTWARE AWAY!!!

And don't play offended kid - 'Ill-take-my-toys-and-go-home' attitude
simply doesn't match well with the developer of your league ;-))

regards and best wishes

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet at linuxpl.org>
Linux User ID=162988