[MPlayer-users] Mplayer 0.50 still slow on a AMD K7 at 900Mhz

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 15 13:20:56 CEST 2001

Hi,

> SSE is not recognised by mplayer, should it be with a k7 ? I think it is
> only supported with kernel 2.4.x ?
sse is p3-only. k7 has 3dnowex.

> Xvideo mode does not works with open source driver, the documentation
> says I've got to download nvidia's drivers.
yes.

> Actually I can see avi file in 800x600 using x11 driver, sdl is too
> slow.
software scaling is always slow.

> It's seems I should first install new xfree 4.1 and kernel 2.4.12 and
> see if things are better, then install nvidia's drivers.
you should install nvidia drivers first. it will use hardware yuv and
scaling, and also uses half bus bandwith -> gives the most speedup.
it requires xf 4.1.0...

and i also suggest 2.4.x kernel, but you'd better using 2.4.7, it was the
last really stable version. nowdays 2.4.x kernels are broken...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu