[MPlayer-users] Re: [OLD-Mplayer-users] playing back mp3 files using mplayer (fwd)

Sergei Golubchik sergii at pisem.net
Fri Oct 19 13:46:51 CEST 2001

Hi!

On Oct 19, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 	In the documentation, it is mentioned that only MPEG 1/2 input
> > file formats are supported. On the other hand, I see that the
> > documentation mentions that the mp3 codec is supported. Of course, when I
> > try to play back mp3 files, I get the error to the effect that if it is
> > not an AVI stream, etc. Would it be very difficult to add support for
> > mp3/wav/other audio formats? As I understand it, it largely involves
> > parsing the files? If this could be implemented, it would be a really
> > useful feature. Or is this feature already present, and just not
> > documented? Thanks in advance.
>
> as mplayer is a _movie_ player, audio-only playback not planned.
> not too simple to add audio file playback, as detection of mp3, ac3 etc
> not trivial. (i hate extension-based detection)
>
> there are much better programs designed for audio playback, mpg123, xmms etc.
>
> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Why, Arpi, it could be a useful feature - to take sound track for the
movie from the another file (mp3 or something). With all the
keybindings and command line switches to adjust V/A delay that mplayer
supports, of course.

It would be even more nice, as mplayer has -dumpaudio,
-dumpvideo, -vo odivx, but cannot create movie with audio and video in
one file (ok, I know, it's in todo :).

And after that making mplayer to play mp3 w/o any video stream would be
trivial :-))

Regards,
Sergei