[MPlayer-users] Re: [OLD-Mplayer-users] playing back mp3 files using mplayer (fwd)

clemenswaechter clemenswaechter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 17:42:42 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Why, Arpi, it could be a useful feature - to take sound track for the
> movie from the another file (mp3 or something). With all the
> keybindings and command line switches to adjust V/A delay that mplayer
> supports, of course.
>
> It would be even more nice, as mplayer has -dumpaudio,
> -dumpvideo, -vo odivx, but cannot create movie with audio and video in
> one file (ok, I know, it's in todo :).
>
> And after that making mplayer to play mp3 w/o any video stream would be
> trivial :-))
>
> Regards,
> Sergei

I think he is right. Why not include audio-only playback? It would be
really
easy to implement since mplayer has everything needed for audio playback.

It has even more: It is able to decode audio files encoded with windows
audio
codecs. And I do not know any unix player that has the ability to do that.
So mplayer would be the first audio playback program that supports that.

So lets rename mplayer from mplayer to mplayer (movie player -> media
player)
and add fully functional audio only playback capabilities. Lets face it:
Some
audio compression standarts started as audio compression for videos.
Mp3 is in the end a movie file with sound without movie :-), isn't it?
So this is not so far fetched after all.

And since mplayer is becomeing a multifunctional tool by adding -vo odivx
(Mtranscoder :-) ) it would surely not hurt.

And there is another reason why this could be done:
I always backup my dvds with seperated audio and video tracks because
I think one of the most usefull features besides the great video quality is
the one that lets you select different audio tracks.

So I encode the audio to different files and choose the one to play back
just before I watch the movie. So I can always choose the language
I like. But to view the whole thing I have to do this:
1) Shut down Linux :-(
2) Start Windoze :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
3) Multiplex video and audio with VirtualDub
4) Save the whole beast of a file anywhere on my disk space
5) restart Linux :-)

An alternative to step 2 would be to use wine to start VirtualDub
but this works not very well

I think it would be great to specify a different file to play the audio
from.
So why not include those features

Regards
Clemens Wächter