[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer as a webbcam.

Johan Winäs johan.winas at isg.se
Wed Oct 31 08:38:49 CET 2001

 Hi.

 This might be a large or strange question, but.

 I have a large network where we transmitt a number of mpeg2 streams, as
multicast.
 We put togheter a small app that fetches the multicast stream and send it
to stdut, where mplayer reads it. Work great to view the streams like this.
 Would it maybe be intresting to have this support directly in mplayer?

 I also use mplayer to decode still images from the streams.
 From this I got a question.

 Can I set mplayer, in some way, to save every 10,th frame of video, to the
same file. And in some way, save this file as a jpg? I would like it scaled
down as well
 What I would like to do, is then set a webbcam server, that sends this
image to me in a browser.

 The point is, that the mpeg streams are 3Mbit, and when I'm connected from
the office, I have about 200Kbit. So I would like to se the streams, one at
a time, in lowres, in the browser, where I have the control functions for
the transmitters.

 Any one have any ides?

 Last, just want to send some thanx for the mplayer, it just plays streams
better than anything else. I realy look forward to using it in windows.

/Johan