[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer as a webbcam.

Daniel A. Nagy nagydani at mast.queensu.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:06:15 CET 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:38:49AM +0100, Johan Win?s wrote:
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>

>  Hi.
>
>  This might be a large or strange question, but.
>
>  I have a large network where we transmitt a number of mpeg2 streams, as
> multicast.
>  We put togheter a small app that fetches the multicast stream and send it
> to stdut, where mplayer reads it. Work great to view the streams like this.
>  Would it maybe be intresting to have this support directly in mplayer?
>
>  I also use mplayer to decode still images from the streams.
>  From this I got a question.
>
>  Can I set mplayer, in some way, to save every 10,th frame of video, to the
> same file. And in some way, save this file as a jpg? I would like it scaled
> down as well
>  What I would like to do, is then set a webbcam server, that sends this
> image to me in a browser.
>
>  The point is, that the mpeg streams are 3Mbit, and when I'm connected from
> the office, I have about 200Kbit. So I would like to se the streams, one at
> a time, in lowres, in the browser, where I have the control functions for
> the transmitters.
>
>  Any one have any ides?

Well, I would not add such features to mplay ad infinitum, because it would just
make it larger, harder to maintain, and therefore less stable. The real beauty of
Unices lies in the fact, that each tool does one job and does it well, while
the user can make these small components to work together like cogwheels in a gearbox.
UNIX is like LEGO :-)

But of course, I am not a developer and it is absolutely up to them to decide.

Cheers,

--
Daniel