[Mplayer-users] Can we used mplayer to play .asx files?

Shawn Dawson sdawson at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 5 00:31:06 CEST 2001

I'm trying to set up netscape, or mozilla, or
konqueror, to play streaming media files.
For instance from the NPR news site the link
to play the windows media file gives the following
file.

cat news.auto.asx
ASF MMS://ns1.npr.org/newscast/news.auto.asf

If I try to play this with mplayer, I get

> Playing news.auto.asx
> Sorry this file format not recognized/supported
> If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream,
> please contact the author! ===

Is there a way to do this yet with mplayer?

-Shawn Dawson (sdawson at rocketmail.com)