[Mplayer-users] Mostly SMP related questions

Jiri Svoboda jiri.svoboda at seznam.cz
Fri Sep 14 11:56:21 CEST 2001

HI,
I'm using mplayer on my dualprocessor machine and I have some questions:
1) when I use -autoq switch, is the CPU load taken for chosing
postprocessing level from total or single CPU load?
    At this time it looks first way -> this causes problems with playback,
because mplayer is reporting 63%CPU load and thinks that can use bigger
level of postprocessing but actually is consumig all power of single
processor.
This introduces second question:
2) Is mplayer single or multi thread application? This could help lot when
You have dualprocessor system like me, so one processor can be fully
dedicated for image decoding and second for audio, feeding graphic card  ...

3) How much slower/cpu time consumig is fbdev device than mga_vid ?
In my configuration I'm using fbdev for TVout on second head of my G400-RRG
while there are accelerated X running on first head (with option fbdev).
This allows me to play video on my monitor or on TV by choosing right output
device.

                    Jiri Svoboda