[Mplayer-users] Three quick questions

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Sat Sep 15 00:22:54 CEST 2001

I apologize if these have been answered recently on the list, but
SourceForge is giving me an error when I try to search, and I didn't see
either answered while browsing the list manually.

1. I'm using SVGALib as my output. This works very well, and avoids the
hassle of setting up X, losing the disk space, trying to do user control
without a keyboard in that environment, etc. (It also means I can write my
front-end in SVGALib, which is pitifully easy compared to X.)

However, while MPlayer scales movies UP to 640x480 very well (which I need
to support TV-Out on my card), it doesn't even try to scale down. So
anything larger than 640 wide is a no-go. Is this a planned feature? Will it
be possible at any point? I will probably take a look at messing with the
source, but wanted to ask first.

2. In a similar manner, when scaling up, if the total width is larger than
the screen it dies. For some reason it seems to scale to the vertical size,
and then see how wide the horizontal ends up being. This means a source that
is wider than it is tall when scaled to a vertical height of 480 can end up
being wider than 640. Since down-scaling isn't supported on SVGALib, MPlayer
refuses to play the movie. I would obviously prefer in this case to scale to
the horizontal, not the vertical rather than for scaling to cut the movie
back down (letterbox).

3. Does anybody have MPlayer working with AC3 5-channel sources? I am
waiting on an A/V receiver in the mail, but don't know if this will work. It
would be nice; anybody have success with this, using the S/PDIF output on a
sound card?

Regards, and thanks for developing MPlayer in the first place, it works VERY
well.

Chad