[Mplayer-users] RE: Do you fix bugs or just RTFM

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Mon Sep 17 16:36:48 CEST 2001

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:15:41 -0700 (PDT) Ivan Kalvatchev <iive at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 4. Sorry but RTFM is not a panacea. You may have
> writen the manual right but some persons with poor
> english like me may think something different. When

If you find any passage in the documentation unclear or
maybe misunderstandable then report it here. Docu is the
same as code, it can have bugs. I'm sure Gabu would like
some feadback.

> you say keep low traffic this is order for me. When
> you say that it is for developers I mean that it is
> for developers that have CVS access. I don't want to
> mess with the big boys. So pleace don't make me "read
> between lines", say it in a plain text.

<plain text>
The dev-eng list is about the development of mplayer.
There belongs everything that is about the code or the
architecture of mplayer. This includes also patches.

There are way more ppl subscribed to it then the developers,
most are just listening to be up to date with new features
or new developments.

The user list is about user questions and bug reports.

The matrox list is about mga_vid and vo_mga specific stuff.
</plain text>

> And this is my first patch i have send. How would you
> like patches to be send - in tgz as attachment or in
> mail body? Write and this to TFM.

I think an attached compressed `diff -Naur` is the best.

> 5.If you want to keep low level of RTFM answers you
> must point irc channel where the users could meet each
> other and help each other. That is a usual case: when
> somebody ask a question the others start to read the
> manual to answer him/her.

At the moment there is only a developer channel (which is
invite only, so dont bother to try joining). Maybe we
should create an additonal one, but i wouldnt expect any
developer there because there are too busy.
And i rather like the developers to write code than
answering questions on irc ;-)

		Attila Kinali

PS: i just created #mplayer-user on irc net.. join if you want to

--
Man who sink into womans arms soon have arms in womans sink.