[Mplayer-users] MPlayer OpenGL patch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Sep 20 17:43:20 CEST 2001

Hi,

> because my linux ppc @ r128 + dri + XF86 4.1 (powerbook),
> did only show nice pictures with x11 (xv was a bit hmm funny),
what's with xv? do you use the GATOS Xv drivers? they work for me,
with ATI Xpert98 (mach64). or you mean riva128, not ati's r128?

> i patched the opengl libvo, to support a texture size.
>
> the new logic is:
>         - find the maximum texture size (NEW)
>         - generate n*m textures of that size (NEW)
Great! I wanted to do that some months ago, but i couldn't find
time for this :(
It's very usefull for old 3D card owners, like Voodoo2.

>         - update the yuv/rgb data _only_ (NEW)
>
>         - before page flipping update the texture (redraw) NEW
i don't understand this, but i'll check the patch.

> Q: the printed MPEG(I/II) framerate by mplayer is not true right ?
> or is it estimated ?
it is right, at least it is the value from mpeg headers.

but you must know: mpeg2 has a feature called progressive stream,
it means not fixed framerate. most 29.9 fps mpeg2 files uses it.
so they are really around 24-26 fps, but some frame is flagged to
be delayed (played 1-2.5 times longer). so the frame clock rate is
the value specified in header (29.9 Hz) but some frame is longer,
so you will display actually less than 29.9 frames per sec.
it's very funny, and i spent a month discovering it :(

> i need a tool, which gives me some bitrate, etc. stats,
bitrate is complicated. value shown by mplayer is the value
from the header, but it's only an average rate, and it can
be -1 if not defined or not constant (PES files).

> oh .. one last question: why does it nor on a commodore 64 computer ;-) ?
> (just to being noted on your lovely FAQ)
we should finish the java version for teapot first. it is easier to
port to c64, than native linux/unix version :)

> last but not least _how_ and _where_ should i post this patch ?
RTFM!
hint: mplayer-dev-eng

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu