[Mplayer-users] MPlayer OpenGL patch

Sven Goethel sgoethel at jausoft.com
Thu Sep 20 18:23:14 CEST 2001

On Thursday 20 September 2001 17:43, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > because my linux ppc @ r128 + dri + XF86 4.1 (powerbook),
> > did only show nice pictures with x11 (xv was a bit hmm funny),
>
> what's with xv? do you use the GATOS Xv drivers? they work for me,
> with ATI Xpert98 (mach64). or you mean riva128, not ati's r128?

as i said, ati r128 inside a powerbook (ppc),
using linux + xfree86 4.1 + dri:
	PCI:*(0:16:0) ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF rev 2,
	Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
	Pixel depth = 16 bits stored in 2 bytes (16 bpp pixmaps)
	Default visual is TrueColor
	RGB weight 565
	Using 6 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
	Using framebuffer device
	Chipset: "ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x4c46)
	VideoRAM: 8192 kByte (128-bit SDR SGRAM 1:1)

no gatos, Xv is included in xf86 by default,
but the rendered video is very blurry .. Xv problem.

> > i patched the opengl libvo, to support a texture size.
> >
> > the new logic is:
> >         - find the maximum texture size (NEW)
> >         - generate n*m textures of that size (NEW)
>
> Great! I wanted to do that some months ago, but i couldn't find
> time for this :(
> It's very usefull for old 3D card owners, like Voodoo2.

;-) and for my r128 ;-)

.. i just used the code from my xmame.xgl (gl video driver for xmame)

> >         - update the yuv/rgb data _only_ (NEW)
> >
> >         - before page flipping update the texture (redraw) NEW
>
> i don't understand this, but i'll check the patch.

you have update callbacks for frames, slices and for page flipping.
so now, the frame/slice just updates the bufferd image
and page flipping updates the texture and swap's -> faster.

> > i need a tool, which gives me some bitrate, etc. stats,
>
> bitrate is complicated. value shown by mplayer is the value
> from the header, but it's only an average rate, and it can
> be -1 if not defined or not constant (PES files).

well, i use mjpeg-tool's mpeg2enc to produce SVCD compliant mpeg2 streams
so .. i was just curious if i had produced only rubbish streams
with a too high bitrate .. so, because they are VBR, i guess it's
ok. will check this on a friends DVD player.

> > oh .. one last question: why does it nor on a commodore 64 computer ;-) ?
> > (just to being noted on your lovely FAQ)
>
> we should finish the java version for teapot first. it is easier to
> port to c64, than native linux/unix version :)
das true .. but only using the mini linux kernel for the 64',
then it will be easier to ftp it to the latter host.
hmm .. insecure, we better use an encrypted smartcard.

> > last but not least _how_ and _where_ should i post this patch ?
>
> RTFM!
> hint: mplayer-dev-eng

nonononono, but you got it, or give me an URL

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

peace, sven