[Mplayer-users] editing?

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Fri Sep 21 03:15:51 CEST 2001

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

> > > My question is - are you going to put any editing features to mplayer?
If no -
> > not planned.
>
> :-(

As an MPlayer user, my 2c: I wouldn't want editing features in the program.
It works well for what it does, and I'm for the philosophy of having
separate programs that do single tasks well. Editing should be reserved for
a separate program; why re-invent the wheel?

> > wait. qtrecompress isn't editor. it's converter, like virtualdub.
>
> hm... I thought VirtualDub is editor - in both programs I can cut frames,
glue
> two streams together, use effects like blur or sharpen - what is video
editor
> then?

Yes, those are editing features, but most video editors do more, like
detection scenes and allowing storyboard-style arrangement, as well as
putting in titling overlays, doing fades between segments, etc. VirtualDub
is special - it's much more than a simple converter, and a bit less than a
full editing package.

My 2c.

Regards,
Chad