[MPlayer-users] Re: Questions/problems with recent MPlayer

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Mon Apr 1 21:17:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:19:28PM +0200, Grigori Goronzy wrote:

> why use divx4linux for decoding anyway?
> libavcode(ffmpeg) can decode all divx movies, is faster and has
> postprocessing.

Does it, now? I notice Arpi mentioned on 25th
(http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2002-March/012508.html)
that postprocessing is disabled for ffmpeg codecs and indeed mplayer
seems to use the same amount of CPU and produce the same kind of picture
when using ffmpeg, regardless of whether I use -pp or not.

I have some crappy divxes with not enough bitrate and they look like shit
(mosaic) with ffmpeg, but -vfm 4 -pp 2 is a lot better as it smooths
the mosaic borders.

BTW, interesting that mplayer manpage says postprocessing doesn't work
for Win32 codecs...