[MPlayer-users] Re: XviD support fading out?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 14 20:41:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > Not too sure if I missed something somewhere, but it seems to be that
> > > mencoder does not seem to be supporting the xvidcore properly anymore. I

no, we did no such changes, we still support xvid, but...
they don't maintain compatibility with itself, don't develop (of at least
bugfix) the decoder, and being GPL is still just a dream (and promise)...

the first planned pre-release date of new mplayer is 20. april, but i doubt
that we will include xvid in this release, as we planned earlier.
(i also doubt we well even make pre-release at the planned date...)

also, in the last month libavcodec was improved a lot, it is even better
than xvid now in encoding too (for decoding it was always superior to xvid
and even divx4/5), so we'll include libavcodec as we did in 0.60 too

but, again, we won't remove xvid support, especially as it's the same as
divx4linux (htey use teh same interface so it's transparent for us if user
choose divx4linux or xvid). if xvid doesn't work, report it as a bug to teh
xvid developers.

i like the xvid project, but they are a way too slow :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team