[MPlayer-users] -ac hwac3 with non SB Live/C-Media soundcards?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 17 19:57:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I would like to use the digital output of my soundcard.
> My card has a Trident 4D wave nx chip. When I try to play
> some DVD or avi with ac3 sound with the -ac hwac3 switch,
> I only get awful clicking noises from the analog output
here is the problem ------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hwac3 emans sending teh compressed ac3 frames to the output, so
by connecting hardware ac3 decoder/amplifier to teh card will
procude audible sound (the external device will decode the ac3).
so, no wonder if you get noise without external decoder...

note again: hwac3 doesn't mean decoding using the soundcard
(even if for example sb live has DSP maybe capable to do it),
it mean passing the comperred sound to teh output, to eb decoded
by _external_ decoder.

> DOCS/codecs.html calls the hardware AC3 decoding support
> experimental and only mentions Soundblaster Live and C-Media
> cards as working.
they were tested, no reports from other card's users

> Docs also mention that the card's driver has to properly
> support the AC3 output. I don't know about that, but
> digital output of AC3 or DTS data works fine with xine...
external decoding?

> Is there any hope to get it working?
it should.. if it doesn't and other programs does, then try
to find and fix teh bug...
also check if the mixers are set to teh maximum, soem drivers
doesn't do it automatically and sw mixer trashes the ac3 sound

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team