[MPlayer-users] hwac3, DXR3 and DD decoder

Vincent Mussard Vincent.Mussard at lineae.net
Mon Apr 22 13:50:02 CEST 2002

Hi everybody

First of all sorry for my bad english.
Here is my problem (and maybe solution). I have a P166MMX with a DXR3 (creative
labs) connected with a digital cable to a Denon 2700 Dolby Digital decoder/ampli
(a decoder more than 4 years old).
I used MPlayer 0.60 and MPlayer CVS (one day before 0.90pre1).

I correctly set up the DXR3 to use the digital out.
When I used MPlayer 0.60 I get correct sound. The decoder recognize correct DD
streams and everything is fine (except 0.60 is pretty old and has problems
sometimes with A/V sync).
With MPlayer CVS I hear only noise, the sound is not audible. The decoder didn't
recognize DD stream and It seems like it trys to play the stream in stereo (but
it's not stereo it's DD).
After some investigation I found that the HWAC3 methods in MPlayer has changed
(see DOCS/tech/hwac3.txt). Author says that the new method is compatible with DD
decoder but apparently not with mine.

The quick solution I found in order to use new version of MPlayer with my DD
decoder is this modification:
- in the file libmpcodecs/ad_hwac3.c in the preinit function I changed the line
sh->channels=2 with sh->channels=1 and before the end of the function I added
the line sh->sample_format = AFMT_AC3;

I don't had many to test this modification but it seems to work.

Sorry if my remark is stupid :)

Vincent