[MPlayer-users] file sizes with and without B frames

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Wed Aug 7 21:23:01 CEST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 7. August 2002 20:18 schrieb Steven M. Schultz:

> > From: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
> >
> > hmm? you use fixed bitrate - and filesize depends only on bitrate, so why
> > should it be different? quality and cpu usage will differ for IP and IPB,
> > but the file size won't unless you change bitrate...
>
> 	I thought 'vbitrate' set the desired maximum limit - and that the
> 	actual bitrate was variable (VBR).   It was a surprise to find such a
> 	small difference between the B and non-B cases - that's all.
>
> 	Is the lavc encoding VBR or CBR?   If it's CBR then yes  I understand
> 	the filesize being constant and depending only on the bitrate.
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> 	Steven Schultz
> 	sms at 2bsd.com

As I understood it, its a kind of vbr, since it always use more bitrate if
there is fast motion and take fewer if there is low motion. The result of
your test shows only how good the codec can handle it. Think -vhq should show
a difference ?

Greets

Steffen

Computer are like air conditioners: They stop working properly if you open
windows!