[MPlayer-users] divx with 2 audio streams

Haas Wernfried amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 7 21:55:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 06:55:10PM +0200, Georg Prager wrote:
> Is it possible to encode a divx with 2 audio streams with mencoder? I don't
> find anything in the docs.
> If it's impossible at this time, is it on the todo list?
i don't really know, but as the developers always say: "if it's not in
the docs, it's not implemented ;)"

i guess you want to encode a movie with 2 languages on to fit on one cd.
of course you could encode the movie twice and burn 2 cds with the two
movies, one in e.g. english, the other one in e.g. german.
if you want to save one cd, you could do the following:
.) encode english audio -> audio_english.avi
.) encode german audio -> audio_german.avi
.) encode video only -> video.avi
.) burn everything one one cd
.) if you want to watch the movie in either language, you just do
   mencoder -oac copy audio_english.avi -ovc video.avi -o video_english.avi

encoding audio to mp3s/ogg and "mplayer video.avi -audiofile
audio_german.mp3/ogg/etc" should possibly work, too.

of course you'll always need mplayer, so no playing on operating systems
without mplayer support will be possible (i guess).

don't blame me if i told you something wrong, i did not test this myself.
maybe you just encode the movie twice, blank cds are cheap these days...

regards,
wernfried

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion