[MPlayer-users] 5 (easy) questions

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Aug 8 21:23:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:36:56PM +0200, en ne wrote:
> 1) is there a command, say -screensaver, to prevent
> the screensaver to start?
man mplayer ->        -stop_xscreensaver
> 2) is there a command, say -noenergysave, to prevent
> the screen to go blank after 30 mins?
don't know...
> 3) never managed to see a DVD fullscreen. If I try
> mplayer -dvd 1 -fs the DVD plays, hear sound, see no
> pic. -fs works ok though with files.
not easy to say.. be sure to read docs (again) and
take a look at the output of mplayer.
maybe try different output drivers (xv, x11 (slow), etc)
if that doesn't help, write a more detailed mail
about your problem (read DOCS/bugreports.html)
> 4) With previous versions of MPlayer there where some
> DVD which played ok, other kept on "jumping" or
> "skipping", I mean the image was not smooth at all.
> Were these disc broken or damaged, or was it a problem
> with the program?
some random hints:
is dma mode enabled for your dvd drive? did you use
the framedrop option? did you enable the cache?

> 5) Most Important! Please!!! Don't let me sitting in
> Windows with WinDVD! With the last versions of MPlayer
> my dvd ALWAYS skips now, or terrible A-V out of sync!
> DVDs play fine under Win. What do I do? Hdparm?
yes hdparm is a good start, as mentioned above
enabling dma is a good choice, there are of course
other useful settings, too, but dma increases
performance drastically. if you do not manage to
solve your problems yourself: the more detailed
your description of your problem is, the more people
will be able to help you (read DOCS/bugreports.html).

regards
	wernfried

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion