[MPlayer-users] mencoder with lavc, mpeg4, vbitrate=1250 producing 3GB/h files

Brian J. Murrell 476639dd2a685f9fc88dcb85c011a87d at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Aug 11 07:46:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 12:37:42AM +0200, Horváth István wrote:
> > $ mencoder -pass 1 -ovc lavc
> > -lavcopts vcoded=mpeg4:vbitrate=1250:vme=5:vqmin=2:vratetol=40000 -o
> > file.avi file.mpeg
>
> you should add this to -lavcopts vpass=1

But why should I?  The manpage for mplayer/mencoder says:

                vpass=<1/2>      select internal first pass
                                 or second pass of
                                 2-pass mode.
                                 default = 0 (1-pass mode)

The default looks _exactly_ like what I want.

> (but it is in docs! so RTFM :))) )

I did RTFM.  It was TFM that suggested that I DO NOT need the vpass
lavc option!  Maybe YOU should RTFM before flaming others for not
doing it.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell