[MPlayer-users] Hardware decoders

Lauri Tischler lauri.tischler at efore.fi
Sun Aug 11 19:45:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>there was some optional and expensive expansion module for some old g200/g400
>>>to support dvd playback, it is not supported by mplayer (i have no such thing)
>>
>>Darn, that's what I was afraid of :)
>>Does mplayer support any hardware decoders found on display cards ?
>
> no
> only DVB and dxr3
> but they are only mpeg 1/2

That's good enough for my purposes, I'm mainly interested to
play dvd's and get sat-tv.

>>The reason I'm asking is that my system is sort of sluggish,
>>- cpu amd-k6 450 Mhz + 256mb ram
>>- matrox g200
>>- SB live!
>>running with mga_vid and oss and tweaked hdparms
>>direct rendering enabled in X
>
> LGB can play DVD on k6 450 with matrox g400 + mga_vid with no problems
> and i could do the same on celeron 366 with -vo vesa with pci et6000 vga...
>
> so your system is near to the limits, but shoul dbe enough, at least with
> -framedrop.

Yep, I'm using -framedrop.
Gotta dig into the junkbox again, maybe I can dig up a G400.
At least G400 has more memory, 32M instead of 8M, that should help.
Eventually I'm gonna buy DVB-S card, so that should fix the problem.
Cheers...