[MPlayer-users] DVD audio and subtitle problems

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Thu Aug 15 22:07:01 CEST 2002

On 02.08.15 Leander Seige pressed the following keys:

> i have some troubles playing the DVD "Solaris" (a two DVD
> set).
>
> dvd1 plays with sound and subtitles - at least in the film itself. but
> while the opening credits are shown a lot of subtitles are missed. Other
>
> players show a lot more subtitles here. (and they  are not placed
> outside
> the window... there are black bars on the top and on the bottom so there
>
> is really enough space). It seems that in the same part of the movie
> mencoder shows a lot of  "skip frame!!!" messages (for the first 60.6
> sec).
> after that no more messages like this appear.
>
> the 2nd thing is that disc2 plays wihout sound. other players (e.g.
> xine) play
> with sound. mplayer recognizes the audio streams but doesn't play one!
> i attached the output logs of disc1 and disc2...
>
> here is my command:
> mplayer -vo xv -alang de,en -dvd 3 -slang de,en -vobsubid 8 -v
>
> (-dvd 6 for disc2 and -dvd 3 for disc1)
> i tried the -aid and several other switches but it didn't help...
> even did i reduced the language specifications and so on...

I've had similar problems with ``Stargate (Director's Cut)'' DVD.

It appeared that there were several subtitle streams marked as English.
The movie action was in several languages (English, Egyptian Arabic and
Ancient Egyptian ``derivation'') and first English subtitle track
contained subtitles only for English.

I tested the other streams and one of them had English subtitles for all
the languages spoken throughout the movie.

Other players, esp. Windows players don't look into subtitle stream
description, but play what the program contained in .ifo file tells them
to play. That's what players using dvdnav, and all standalone DVD
players do, by the way.

So, try different settings for -sid (0-31) and -aid (128-...) and see if
it helps.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35