[MPlayer-users] Audiophile S/PDIF in MPlayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Aug 26 18:51:02 CEST 2002

> > DTS passthrough is not supported by mplayer, no matter what card do you have.
> > don't ask me to implement unless you can donate me hardware dts decoder
> > and disc with dts audio stream...
> > afair the xine guys tried to implement it but it didn't worked?
> > at least it has some dts code in cvs and dts-not-working mails on ml :)
>
> Weird. I always thought it was just data that is sent to the decoder in
> same way as DD. Is the problem demuxing it from DVD or sending it over
> the soundcard?

it isn't so easy
you have to parse the ac3 headers to be able to calc a-v sync etc, and
encapsulate ac3 packets into a transfer layer understood by the hardware
decoder and send it through the soundcard. the same should be done for DTS
but no one has docs on DTS packet formats.

> > AC3 is supported both oss and alsa, it depends on teh sndcard driver if it
> > works
>
> Yeah, this part is what I'm interested on, but it seems that no-one uses
> that card in Linux. I wonder who actually wrote that driver..

check teh driver source

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team