[MPlayer-users] PVA format demuxing

Matteo Giani matgiani at ctonet.it
Sat Aug 31 13:02:02 CEST 2002

I saw the post from Dominik Mierzejewski on -users some days ago about a
feature request for a PVA format demultiplexer. I was looking into it,
and using the format specification file that he indicated I can easily
obtain two separate streams from the file: a video stream which is
actually a MPEG-ES video stream, interleaved here and there with PTS's,
and an audio stream, which is a MPEG-PES containing, in turn, only a
single mpeg layer2 audio stream. Stream extraction for both of them has
been tested: video stream extracted with pts's taken away is correctly
detected as a MPEG-ES file and played correctly by MPlayer. The audio
file is not played by MPlayer, which actually finds an audio stream but
complains about "MPEG: Missing video stream..." and exits. It is played
OK by XMMS.
The question here is: once I can correctly obtain a MPEG-ES containing
video (if needed, paired with PTS's) and a MPEG-PES containing only
audio, what is a clean way to write a demuxer?
More specifically, whom do I feed these 2 streams to, and (if it's not
too much of a hassle) how?

BTW, the video contained in the ES is MPEG2 from a DVB board, as you
guys should know since I think you are into DVB boards more than I am...
Also, I know there are good pieces of software around that transform a
PVA file into a MPEG program stream. I just thought it would be neat if
MPlayer could play them directly.

Cheers.
Matteo