[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding quality advices

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sun Dec 1 18:10:03 CET 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 16:23, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> There are a few "one button" GUI ripping tools in the Win* world. You
> should try one of them.

One of the reasons why windows is STILL so common on desktops is THIS stupid
and braindead attitude that is being reflected in the quoted part on the
behalf of the developers and enough people who have aquired the necessary
knowledge to fit their own needs. But what the open source community is
about, giving everybody a nice usable system that they do not need to learn
for hours how it works before they can use it, where is this ideal?
I am currently coding my own little C project, I need time to administrate a
Linux server system and keep it secure, where, please tell me, is the time to
work into EVERY detail of all of the thousands of tools I encounter in my
Linux distribution? Sorry pal, I want to have my real life too, and not spend
the rest of my life in front of my computer, like apparently some of you guys
do ...

I figured out how to get usable DVD rips after about 5 hours reading the
mencoder tutorials, and messing around with command line options (2-pass
encoding, 3 pass encoding .. testing all this stuff). Until I came up with a
DivX that I liked the quality of. I can understand if this is too much for
some people!

Could ANYONE of you guys, who really know how things work here _please_ write
a howto of any kind that really tells you which settings should be played
around with to get a reasonable quality, and which settings normally work on
a DVD for example? And which settings you are normally playing around, with
examples how to get rid of the black bars? For all tutorials i have found
with google only touches the actual topic, but does not get much into
details.

--
 - Thilo Schulz