[MPlayer-users] mplayer and tvout on nvidia

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Sun Dec 1 23:44:02 CET 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 22:13, Lethal Weapon wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 00:35, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a nvidia-card in my system and tried today the programm nvtv. The
> > picture quality with that is very good and I heard that xine makes use of
> > nvtv as a plugin, so if xine is started in fullscreen the monitor
> > switches off and the output goes to the tv. Now I wonder if something
> > similar is or could be done for mplayer ?!
>
> start another X that uses the tv output
>
> ( X :1 -layout tv ; or startx -- :1 -layout tv )
>
> then DISPLAY=:1.0 mplayer -fs stuff.avi
>

> the readme.txt of www.nvidia.com drivers is very well done and very
> useful
>
> an example of some tv layout on:
>
> http://lethalwp.dyndns.org/~lethalwp/files/XF86Config-4
>

> I prefer 2 xservers than 1 with twinview since twinview doesn't appear
> to give me the same output quality

Is then such a thing like overscan used ? have you ever used xine + nvtv ,
translated to mplayer it would mean :

mplayer -fs => switch to tv and do a fullscreen playback w/o black borders on
tv.
It is not the thing to get it working at all (there are lots of tutorials out
there) what I meant is the ease of use of nvtv (is btw even possible to use
with open-source nv-driver and as I read with vesa-fb )
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/

My post was just a question if this wouldn't be interesting for mplayer too.
In xine I can make 2 clicks and have really good tv-out and fullscreen on
both heads.

Sorry if youi got that wrong.

Greets

Steffen