[MPlayer-users] Feature request: Movie meta information

Lego Andy me at andy.cx
Thu Dec 5 00:58:02 CET 2002

Hi all,

I could not find this in any FAQs or documentation, or on the list.

Let me first explain the reason and then what I want. First of all, I
hate tapes. Any kind. They are thing of the past. I want to go hard
disk, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM all the way. There is a problem though. Tape if
I stop "remembers" where I left. For example, I watch movie X and I
like this scene, because it looks like a scene from another movie. So
I take the tape out, put another tape and look. I can go back to
previous one to exactly the same position (or at least close to it).
CD player does not do that. DVD does not do that. To my knowledge,
MPlayer does not do that.

There is parameter to MPlayer, -ss which makes MPlayer skip to the
given time-step and starts playing from there. Great thing. So, what it
needs now is a way of reporting where it left.

So, here is what I propose. MPlayer should have option of storing meta
information about the file it is playing. This meta-information would
include all information that MPlayer needs to repeat the playing. It
could also include things like what decoder it used, in order for the
second play to be so much faster.

So, what do you think?

				Andy