[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and Quicktime

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Dec 10 09:16:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> As far as I can tell atm this will happen if mplayer isnt able to mmap
> from the address it specifies to loaders/ext.c, VirtualAlloc()
>
> answer = mmap(address, size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE | PROT_EXEC,
> 			      MAP_FIXED | MAP_PRIVATE, fd, 0);
>
> will fail (ENOMEM), and though im not sure about the codepaths
> VirtualAlloc seems to get called again, this time with address=0 and the

hmm. i can't imagine why does it fails anyway. maybe some silly security
patches/features in the kernel? (it reminds me to l3codeca.acm problems)

or maybe problems with /dev/zero access rights, high-mem kernel options, etc.

> mmap _without_ MAP_FIXED succeeds. from there stuff goes downhill and I

yes, but these DLLs aren't relocatable, so even if it succeed it will crash
soon :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team