[MPlayer-users] xv and colors

Marcin Kostur marcin.kostur at maine.edu
Tue Dec 10 16:56:02 CET 2002

Hi!

I use mplayer on noetbook Sony Vaio FXA-63 which is AMD Athlon XP 1600.
The graphic card is  ATI Rage Mobile M/P, and it is suported by
xvideo extrensions (ati2) so i have hardware scaling an YUV convertion.

PROBLEM:

The quality of xv is very bad - look as color quantization
is too big - i.e. "overexposed colors". It is much worse than the
software
scaler with "-sws 2".
Also i use mplayer on desktop with MGA adapter where hw-xv gives
an excellent picture!

QUESTIONS:

1) Is it possible to tune "brightness" and other params for xv
hardware??
2) Is ATI Rage Mobile a "bad" card and the quality has to be like this?
3) Or is xv driver for linux "bad" and the card itself ok?
4) Comments?

I am looking forward to hear your opinions

	Marcin

Ps. BTW - i have 2-5% CPU with hw-xv - i cant believe that ! sw takes
20-30% ;-))

Marcin Kostur        		               Phone office:   (207) 581-1031
Department of Physics,                         Phone home:     (207)
581-8725
University of Maine	      	                      marcin.kostur at maine.edu
5709 Bennet Hall, Orono, ME 04469
http://biophys1.umephy.maine.edu/marcin