[MPlayer-users] independent video FPS adjustment?

Matthew "Cheetah" Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Wed Dec 11 07:15:03 CET 2002

The problem:

I have a poorly encoded avi (divx) file that's already burned onto cd
(so fixing this with mencoder is suboptimal, and as I'll explain later,
doesn't seem workable).  According to the file, it has more video time
than audio time.  However, in reality, the video and audio time are the
same, it's just that either the video is too slow, or the audio too
fast.  If I could get mplayer to adjust the rate of one independently of
the other so that they play in the same amount of time, then the sync
would be correct.

Mplayer's -fps option doesn't seem to do this, as the audio is kept 'in
sync' with the video.  Even if it did (and this is what makes fixing the
video with mencoder not workable), to get the sync right at the end of
the movie, I'd need to be able to specify the fps out to at least
thousandths of a second.

Ideally it would be nice to have some option or option set that made
mplayer do a/v sync based on % of total for each stream instead of
absolute time for this one frelled up video.  Doing this by telling
mplayer to scale the video rate so that it plays in x.yyy seconds would
be practical.

Is there any existing functionality in mplayer that will solve my
problem?  How about mencoder?  I've tried splitting the audio stream out
of the broken avi, and then using an mencoder line like "mencoder
broken.avi -nosound -ovc copy -fps 24.09 -o fix.vid.avi" to change the
video framerate, and then using the -audiofile option to mencoder to
play the two pieces.  This can get me close, but still off by a second
or two by the end of the video (originally got ~30s off by end).

--
	-Cheetah
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".