[MPlayer-users] Question on mencoder using xvid

Maier Gerfried moali at sbox.tugraz.at
Wed Dec 11 10:35:02 CET 2002

Hello MPlayer-users!

I have a little quality-problem mith the above mentioned configuration:
mplayer 0.90rc1
xvid 0.9.0 release (no CVS)

I'm trying to encode a 20min DVD to a 100MB file (Video res. 720x576, bitrate
approx. 519k). Unfortunately on the output most frames seem _very_ blocky,
others look quite OK.

Did I set the bitrate too low or is there any mencoder option available to
control the quality of the generated avi? (I could not find any hint nether on
the manpage nor in the docu).

Does anybody have experiences with xvid? Is it already usable (good quality) or
is Divx4linux still better?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Maier Gerfried