[MPlayer-users] Question on mencoder using xvid

Ed Fisher gleam at debacle.org
Wed Dec 11 10:40:02 CET 2002

519kbps is extremely low for that resolution.. i'd recommend resizing it
down to 640 x *** and encoding it at something more like 800-900kbps or
even higher.

alternately, you can seriously drop the resolution down a lot, to maybe
320x240 or something, but my guess is you'd rather preserve a relatively
large resolution.

hope this helps,
gleam

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:01:18AM +0100, Maier Gerfried spake thus:
> Hello MPlayer-users!
>
> I have a little quality-problem mith the above mentioned configuration:
> mplayer 0.90rc1
> xvid 0.9.0 release (no CVS)
>
> I'm trying to encode a 20min DVD to a 100MB file (Video res. 720x576, bitrate
> approx. 519k). Unfortunately on the output most frames seem _very_ blocky,
> others look quite OK.
>
> Did I set the bitrate too low or is there any mencoder option available to
> control the quality of the generated avi? (I could not find any hint nether on
> the manpage nor in the docu).
>
> Does anybody have experiences with xvid? Is it already usable (good quality) or
> is Divx4linux still better?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
> Maier Gerfried

		-- Aldous Huxley