[MPlayer-users] Problems with DGA and SDL (was: Problems with XV)

January Weiner 3 jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Dec 11 11:06:02 CET 2002

Witam,

> that it is some serious problem with XFree86 drivers so bugging mplayer
> developers with it won't help.

Now that I know it, I won't.  I'll just continue bugging them with my other
problems :)

> The solution: live with it or change the notebook ;)

Wonderful.  Why don't you tell me to buy an iBook and switch to MacOS?  :-P

OK, so here are the another problems I've got.  You know, the trouble is,
I'm looking for a video output which 1) is usable and 2) faster then
x11.  Vesa is a better solution then x11, but dga, xv and sdl:dga appear to
be even faster.

PROBLEM 1: no video output with DGA.

When running with the -vo dga
option, I get nothing but a blank screen.  The audio is OK, and the moment
I press "q" and mplayer exits, the image flickers for a split of a second.

PROBLEM 2: X11 crash upon exit from SDL:DGA

If I run mplayer with the -vo sdl:dga, it runs smoothly and nicely, but
as soon as it ends or you press "q", X11 crashes ("caught signal 11. Server
aborting.").  Just before, in the XFree log, the message "CHIPSSwitchMode"
appears.

Have you any ideas what the reason might be?  XFree drivers again? What
should I try?

Regards,

j.

[A]by wyjaśnić dlaczego jakaś banialuka [...] jest bezsensowną bzdurą,
trzeba sporej wiedzy i długiego wyjaśniania. A żeby wypowiedzieć taką
banialukę, wystarczy mieć gadane i nie przejmować się faktami. [Paweł Poręba]