[MPlayer-users] Re: Constant Visual Quality

Angel angel at knight-industries.com
Fri Dec 13 12:18:03 CET 2002

> So, if I used vqscale=4 with naq and fairly large values for the
> masking parameters, I might be likely to see lots of frames using
> qscale 2,3,4,5,6,7 across different macroblocks as needed, but with
> the average sticking around 4. However, I haven't actually tested such
> a setup yet, so it's just speculation right now.

> Have fun playing around with it.

Thank you very much for your thorough and well written explanation. I just
have one last question. In my experience, the lavc mpeg4 codec seems to have
the most problems (visual quality wise) encoding scenes that 1) contain smoke
or clouds (this is doubly true for dark scenes) 2) scenes containing large
solid color areas. In both cases, the encoded video looks blocky even when a
high bitrate or a qscale of 2 is used. Since I watch most of my videos on
T.V., this is the type of visual artifact that I most want to avoid because
its very apparent. Do you have any specific recommendations to improve the
visual quality of these types of scenes.

-Angel