[MPlayer-users] Building the divxBox (Was: Re: radeon vidix pink output)

mlist.mplayer.users at urs.us mlist.mplayer.users at urs.us
Mon Dec 16 18:47:03 CET 2002

==> "dz" == Diego Zuccato <diego at otello.alma.unibo.it> writes:

    dz> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
    dz> DOCS/bugreports.html]
    dz> Thomas Schüppel wrote:

I've been following this thread too (I am building a TV-out-only Linux
box with a Radeon 7500).

I finally got the xvidix:radeon_vid.so to work with mplayer CVS and
*some* of the suggested mplayerxp patches.  Here is what I was able to
merge (attached to this message).

* OS: RedHat 8.0
* Video: XFree86, with the vesa driver, at 800x600x16
* Audio: SBLive, using alsa9
* mplayer: built from CVS, with /usr/bin/mplayer suid root

The video looks great, no pink, no shifted video.  It's clear that the
mplayer version of radeon_vid.c doesn't recognize as many ATI cards as
the mplayerxp version, but it recognized mine, so I stopped there ;-).

I'm assuming from reading the vidix docs that the suid root part is
necessary.  It may be possible to tighten this up using sudo, or using
mplayerxp's alluded-to-trick of the 'dhahelper'.

A couple things I've noticed:

* the -menu option doesn't seem to work with full-screen xvidix.  I
  used the OSD menu instead.

* at 800x600, the vanilla X11 mplayer driver is *mostly* fast enough
  to do full-screen video on this 667MHz pIII.  The performance
  enhancements have been welcome.

* I'm still having issues with surround-sound AC3.  I can't get
  -channels 6 to work, because it complains about an unsupported
  sample format in the stream.  Of course, this is not a vidix
  problem.

Carl