[MPlayer-users] Motion Compensation extension

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Dec 17 01:47:02 CET 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Karol Pietrzak wrote:

> I apologize for my ignorance.  Is this supposed to be a sarcastic
> comment?

No, its intended top reduce the number of stupid and repeated questions
these lists get. The developers are obviously "real programmers" who dont
bother with sissy things like comments in the source code. So they get
sick of Q's that are already answered.

> However, I see no reason why software decoders can't produce output of
> equal or surpassing quality?

Sure. Same thing with 3D graphics. There's nothing that harware
accelerators do that software cant, given a fast enough CPU ;-)
   These days, the CPU is fast enough that you dont need a hardware mpeg
decoder. But a modern vga card does some "hardware" assistance, eg
colourspace conversion and scaling.

> How does MPlayer output compare to that of something like, say, WMP?

Well take a look!!  Mostly it depends on the codec, I would think.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.