[MPlayer-users] Motion Compensation extension

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Dec 18 22:37:59 CET 2002

Karol Pietrzak wrote:
> I apologize for my ignorance.  Is this supposed to be a sarcastic
> comment?
Yes and no.

> Most reviews I've heard/read say that a hardware-based MPEG card like
> the DXR[0-9] produces a better quality image than most software
> decoders.
<sigh>
mplayer's vo_md5 "output" device:
   * md5:MD5sum output (for mpeg conformance tests)

I.e.: MPEG video can be decoded in only ONE favor (of course if you want the
decoder to be MPEG-compliant), it doesn't matter if it is, or is not done in
hardware. The same with MC, it helps the codec, the output SHOULD be the same
OR _worse_!
The "better quality image" you mean is actually controlled by the TV out
chip (on MPEG decoders), or other circuitry, the decoded image is the _SAME_
as with software decoders.

Well AFAIK.

--
Gabucino